The first day of the typical workweek starts on Monday, it’s a day that is historically feared by employees. Monday stops the exciting social life of the weekend, and often abruptly throws us back into reality. Here are some helpful ways you and your employees can get the most out of your Monday:
- Jean day: why do we typically emphasize jeans day on Friday? We have trained our teams and ourselves to dread Monday, and lose our sights on Friday. If you have the flexibility, have a jeans day, or a shorts day, or t-shirt day, whatever you can do to help employees ease back into their word life, and look forward to the start of the week.
- Coffee huddle: engage with your employees in the morning! You might think it’s a waste of time, but if you sit down for 15-30 min with your team and talk about their weekend it does way more than you might think. Cohesive team building as well as talking about the weekend prevents additional downtime in the near future. Take some time to appropriately discuss the weekend, and finalize with work communication.
- Enthusiasm: everyone is aware it’s Monday, so making negative comments isn’t going to make things better for your employees. Show enthusiasm and appreciation for what individuals did last week, and show passion for what you know they will accomplish this week- be authentic.
- Contest: again, if you have the flexibility, throw a contest for a paid lunch. Whether it’s sales, customer service, etc. we all have a metric that we are chasing. At the end of your huddle (see step one), talk about a performance contest to get their lunch paid for. This is a great way to get energy and excitement from your employees, as well as accelerate performance.
- Snack: provide healthy snacks for your team, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just something that shows you care. Sliced apples, almonds, or a veggie tray can be an inexpensive way to show your team you care, and re-energize their mood. Wait until your employees have been working for a few hours, this way you can check in with them and see how they are doing. A few calories will help with energy, and will sustain hunger distraction for lunch.
It’s just a simple few tips I have used over the years, I hope everyone has a phenomenal Monday! Develop daily!