Careers paths are not assembly lines despite what many people think. In order to remain at the top of the list for future promotions, you have to stand out in the crowd. Try the following:
- Proactive feedback: oh it hurts sometimes, but that feedback is what gets you where you need to be. Asking your leader for extremely candid feedback is a great way to find out if there are missed opportunities that have not been discussed. Make it your mission to accomplish, track, and discuss your progress on these opportunities.
- Share: never keep best practices to yourself; the best way to get recognition is to share what you do best. If you are a top performer, your leader will absolutely scream with excitement if you help your peers reach the same heights as you.
- Don’t wait: there are many unselfish leaders in the World; unfortunately there are only a few leaders that will wake up every day concerned with you leaving their team and moving on with your life. You shouldn’t be offended by this; in fact you should feel honored. Nevertheless, proactively seek your next role, and work zealously with your leader on a development plan to get there.
- Advocate: do others know that you want to be promoted? The best thing you can do is let leadership know that you are interested in moving up in the company. Employees who express interest in advancement will be much more likely to be considered for future roles because they are considered stable and necessary for the company. Don’t limit this advice to your direct leader, every person around you should know your ambitious plans.
- Outperform: you didn’t think you were getting off easy did you? Scratch all 4 of the suggestions above, throw them away in the nearest trash can and walk away- if you can’t perform that is. What is important to the company? – dominate! You are exponentially more likely to get a promotion when you lead the pack in all that you do! If you are number one at the majority of the lead measurements in your company- walk tall and proud and ask your leader: “What else can I be improving to get me to next?”
Hope the list helps everyone break away from normal and get them to next in their career. I always love to connect and be inspired with you – develop daily!